The Da Vinci Code - from Dan Brown's Fiction to Mary Magdalene's Faith

by Garry Williams

With the film of Brown's fiction coming out interest rises concerning his most successful novel which Williams says had earned Brown 140 million pounds by the end of 2004. Willliams lectures on church history and is well qualified to debunk Brown's fiction. He shows why, contra Brown, the church has not down played the humanity ofJesus nor the importance of Mary Magdalene.

This is a short but very effective book. It shows why the NewTestament is a reliable witness to Jesus. Brown is not even a reliable interpreter of the Gnostic sources he cites in his fiction.

Williams encourages readers to go back to the real sources on Jesus, the gospels to find the real truth. Read Williams, read the gospels and discover the truth. This book is an excellent resource to give to anyone interested in the Christian faith anyone who may be intrigued and led astray by Brown's popular fiction.

The above taken from Graham Weeks' "Christians quoting".
Weeksie's Blog is to be found here: http://www.christianquoter.blogspot.com/

I've heard Garry Williams speak, and he's very good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
An interesting topic. Fiction doesn't appeal to me personally, but my daughter has read many of Brown's books. She's a strong Christian and reads good Christian books too. Her comment (a while ago) was that it was good fiction, that's all. I saw a preview of a programme by Tony Robinson looking at the historical evidence for Brown's book. Apparently any reputable historian just sees his work as fiction and not backed up by fact at all. I think the comment was made that history is far more interesting than the fiction in this case. This perception would seem to be reinforced by the poor reviews that the film has had. In the secular environment where I work, no one has ever mentioned either the book or the film. I agree, though, that unfortunately, some people would think 'there's got to be something in it'.
Alan said…
There's a meeting at Deeside soon with Stephen Clark, who has written a helpful book about the da Vinci code thing, too. Maybe someone could put a link to the publicity website in a comment? I searched in Google to no avail.
Anonymous said…
A hundred and forty million quid eh? "What shall it profit a man.......?!?"

I haven't read the book and don't propose to, for a start, I have better things to do with my time, the trouble is that even though everyone should know that it's a fiction work, people from all over are taking it quite seriously and I gather that it has also caused many Christians to question their faith. Now I do not intend to comment on their faith or enter into an argument on predestination/election so I think I'll leave it at that - for the tme being at least.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen