Books every (American) preacher should read

I was hunting for information on David Well's book "Above all earthly powers", when I came across this list http://www.sbts.edu/campuslife/bookstore/Mohler10.pdf of the 10 books that Al Mohler says every preacher should read in 2006.

The list has an American bias, obviously, but many would usefully address Europeans, both continental and insular.

Here's IVP's page on David Wells' book. http://www.ivpbooks.com/cb/listgen.asp?shop=IVP&mfg=IVP&returnto=lastsearch&layout=singleitem.asp&IdISBN.exact=1844741060

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think every Pastor should have his photo taken, cheesy grin, LARGE Bible in hand, wearing a smart suit of course, standing next to the pulpit - wonderful. How's that for missing the point. It's like when a preacher preaches an amazing sermon and you want to just praise the Lord or discuss the challenge of the Word and somebody says, 'It's a bit cold in here today. Can't they get the heating right?!' Actually, some of those books looked good. I agree about the American bias but I fancy a closer look at the Holy Trinity one myself. Suggestion - buy your Pastor a book? I have heard a joking criticisn that a Pastor has too many books. Is that really possible?
Sorry about the photo - is it really necessary and is it a distraction?
Mr Evans, you haven't made a comment yet. You must be much busier than I.
Alan said…
Yes. I think he's lost weight, too. I ought to read the Wells book. I'll probably try and get it in Britain this July.
Anonymous said…
The previous Wells' books were terrific but, as one reviewer said, tended to analyse the problems to the nth degree but lacked any real positive solutions. Will this one be the same?
Anonymous said…
Who are you, bendigedig? Are you referring to me? Do I know you?
Alan said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alan said…
Welcome Revd Evans!

I don't think you know bendigedig.

Does anyone know if this Wells book will be the same as the others in lacking any real pisitive solutions?
Alan said…
And does anyone know a way I can correct my speling of the word positive?

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen