Hang on! What's this?

From yesterday evening's reading:

9 This was to fulfill the word that he had spoken:“Of those whom you gave me I have lost not one."

As we read John 18:1-12 from the service sheets I started to smell a rat. Some of the sentences were... well they were undeniably English, but not as she is spoke, not as we know her...

When we got to verse 9 whoever was reading stumbled.

"Of those whom you gave me I have lost not one."

I thought, OK, so how many have you lost not? One. And how many have you lost? All except one.

Or could it mean "I have lost not one" but several..?

The formulation was unclear and not at all like spoken contemporary English.

I apologised, "I'm sorry but I have an awful feeling that I did not copy this passage from the NIV."

I was right. Oops!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen