Derek Swann

My good friend Derek Swann has gone home.

I say my good friend. Really he's my good friend Phil's father, but I know him best from his contribution to the theological training course I followed, the Movement Course.

He came and taught us about preaching. He urged us to make it vivid, concrete, with sense appeal. He was a fan of Spurgeon for that.

He came and taught us about conducting funerals. "Take your time, you can't be late", he said, "the funeral starts when you get there."

He liked this saying :

I reads myself full,
I thinks myself clear,
I prays myself hot and
I lets myself go
.

He said, "Men, we don't think ourselves clear !"

But mostly he taught us about warmth. How to be strong and straight and warm.

Some years ago in the church we did some broadcasts for Radio Wales. I loved doing it. Derek heard them and wrote to encourage me. He said he wanted a recording because he wanted to use the talks as a model. I don't know if he ever did that, but it certainly encouraged me anyway !

A few weeks ago I heard that his cancer was going to take him home, so I thought I'd just drop him a line and tell him how much he meant to us chaps. Maybe I could encourage him just now.

Thanks for Derek and for men like him. If we turn out like that we won't have gone far wrong, will we ?

Comments

"Vivid, concrete with a sense of appeal" - he didn't just teach that, he exemplified it.

He had a huge influence on me when I was young.
Alan said…
Geoff Thomas often talked of Derek's addresses at an Aber Conference way back when.
Emmanuel said…
I have to read your blog to hear the news, although he was a member here. I expect it will be announced tonight in prayer meeting.
Gary Brady said…
I had heard but thanks for mentioning it and sharing those reminiscences. He was a great encourager.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen