Well that's been a hard day

A lady in the church is terminally ill, and yesterday I heard that she had been admitted to hospital in a critical condition. I was preparing to preach on Psalm 34, and the team preparing the readings, hymns etc. was meeting that morning in her hospital room. Do I change my text or not?

I continued with Psalm 34. The service this morning was somewhat overshadowed by our awareness of her condition. The preaching went OK, though I felt ill-prepared, tired, anxious and sad. I had the occasional bout of "e" disease - e.g. rebelle goes rerbel, not rebel. My brian knows that but my mouth isn't always convinced and then my ears threaten to start a panic.. Still, a number of people discussed the message with me afterwards.

Then the elder and his family came for lunch. They're a great family, and we talked about our ideas for helping the students along, and so on (and for dessert we had a Delia Smith marmalade bread and butter pudding. Made with a baguette. Real comfort food!)

They left and I scuttled into town for our prayer meeting to find people somewhat shaken after visiting the lady in hospital, so we read and prayed together, then there was a phone call asking me to go to the hospital.

Well, she's comfortable and well cared for. Her family are with her and they're all very strong. There is little doubt in my mind that she's nearing the end. I'd say tonight or tomorrow, but then what do I know? She's 44.

I feel bad for the pastor and his family who are due to return from the USA next Monday or Tuesday.

I read Psalm 27 with the students and the lady and her family, and then John 17:24 with the lady's mother.

Psalm 27:4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.

Jean 17: 24 Père, je veux que là où je suis ceux que tu m’as donnés soient aussi avec moi, afin qu’ils voient ma gloire, la gloire que tu m’as donnée, parce que tu m’as aimé avant la fondation du monde.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We had a similar Sunday at ebenezer, cwmbran. We received news an hour before the evening service that a young man of 26, an ex alcohol and drug addict,who was converetd 2 1/2 years ago and who had recently visited our church with BETEl, a Christian group working with addicts, had fallen out of a tree (he was a tree surgeon) and had been killed. We rejoice for him, that he is now in glory, but it certainly had the effect of sobering the congregation and making them attentive to the Word!
Anonymous said…
Three weeks ago a 15 year old in our chuch was killed by a car on Saturday night. I was up til 4am changing the whole order of service. However, we asked Rupert Bentley-Taylor, who was preaching, to continue with what he had planned - a marvellously providential message from Isaiah 65. There were almost 400 people at the funeral (no robe) and I have never felt so unworthy yet so upheld in taking a service. Be encouraged Alan! He will give you the strength and the words.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen