Funeral report

LOADS of people there. Immediate reaction - panic. Next reaction - thankfulness. (Typical) We had put out 130 chairs, but we reckon there were about 200 people crammed in everywhere. To bring the coffin in some people had to go outside to clear a way.

The service started at 10h30 and lasted about 75 minutes. Far and away the longest funeral service I've ever known. However the funeral directors were like lambs and I think we could have taken longer if we wanted. Also all the people standing were very, very disciplined.

There were 6 hymns/songs interspersed with readings and testimonials by different people. It went (all in French, of course):

Introduction and prayer.
When peace like a river
Psalm 91 : 1 - 16
Letter from the pastor, and poem by one of the women
Que l'Esprit de vérité (a free setting of the Lord's Prayer)
John 14 : 1 - 7
Testimonial by the young people
I know whom I have believèd
Romans 8 : 35 - 39
Testimonial by her sister and niece
You are my hiding place
John 17 : 1 - 9, 20 - 21 & 24
Sermon on John 17:24 (me)
Prayer
Blest be the tie that binds
Apostles' creed
May God's blessing surround you tonight (in French it works for any time of day)
Benediction

When I told people that British funerals tend to be 40 minutes, two hymns, one hour tops, and that at the crematorium you get a 20 minute slot they were horrified. "You can't say goodbye", they said.

Then some snacks and a chance to speak to people before going down to Lavarnac for the inhumation which was scheduled for 3pm, and was being conducted by a pastor down there. We sang "Thine be the glory" at the graveside, and I found that difficult, because last time I did that was at Mancot.

When I pointed out that the local pastor wasn't wearing a robe a smile sort of crossed our elder's face, then he said "Well, you wear them for the ceremony, but not for the burial." Then he said "But it's what she preferred" and I said, "Yes, of course, it's fine".

But when someone said "Now about Sunday and the robe..." I said "Non."

Today was, as we say, a strong moment.

Comments

Martin Downes said…
We were all praying for you last night
Alan said…
Yes. Thanks, everyone. Your prayers were certainly answered.

It appears that there were well over 200 people, mostly not church-goers. Responses to the message and to the other elements of the service have been overwhelmingly encouraging.
Anonymous said…
We would never choose these situations, but when they come we tend to know the Lord's grace in ways that we never would in times of less pressure. And so we grow and he is glorified...
Anonymous said…
Yes, thanks for that information about the service. I never really thought about our funerals being short before but that lady's comment about not being able to say 'Goodbye' properly has really struck me. I suppose if people know beforehand roughly the length of the service then they can be prepared.
I was going to insist that no one wore black at my funeral but if people feel more comfortable in themselves, then it really doesn't matter what they wear, black or otherwise. God bless you for wearing the 'robe'. When it comes to things like that it's all about respect for others.
I can't believe that you haven't worn a tie for so long!! How shocking!
Alan said…
and I looked AWFUL in the thing. DREADFUL! Still.

About the tie - I know! I feel quite wicked! What makes it worse is that some folks in Deeside fought hard to try and get me to stop wearing a tie, and I thought that in British culture it was still necessary, in order to look as much like a newsreader as possible... (And not Angela Ripon...)
Alan said…
As they say, blest be the tie that binds...
Anonymous said…
I used to say that if I ever removed my tie my head would fall off. And yet even I have succumbed in the last 18 months to no longer wearing one. I just got to feel that my personal preference had to come second to the need to remove any cultural barriers between me and others around me. And silly as it may seem, it really did feel at times as if I was a bit odd to be wearing one. But to go two years without one is positively wicked...
Anonymous said…
What about any photos of you in the robe? I'm sure there must have been some. And it's only your pride that prevents you publishing them. And pride is a sin, you know...
Anonymous said…
What about any photos of you in the robe? I'm sure there must have been some. And it's only your pride that prevents you publishing them. And pride is a sin, you know...
Alan said…
I have a policy about avoiding the photographer - one couple I was best man for gave me the task of gathering the people for the photographs. I smply left out all the photographs that had me in them. It's wrong, I know, but it's a strange compulsion.
Anonymous said…
I know where Matthew is coming from on the matter of wearing ties etc. By nature I'm a suit and tie man for a Sunday Service - we are after all coming before the King of Kings and look what a get-up one would be found in if just going to Buck House. (That's Buckingham Palace for the likes of Joy - enjoyed your blog Joy and followed some of the links. You're crackers - in a nice kind of way).

However, if my predelection for formal apparel should prove a stumbling block for some who think that we're formal and stuffy - and that's quite often all too true - then some compromise has to be made. None-the-less, there are still levels of informallity I still flinch at, after all, God is quite capable of attending to His own honour and over-ruling when and where He wishes, He is Sovereign after all.

Isn't this where we came in?

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen