les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Monday, March 14, 2016

C25k - 20 minutes!

It was the birds that set the tone.

I came blinking out of the doors of the block of flats into that lovely half-light with its "stupid o'clock blue" sky and - I don't know who had put them up to it, who could it have been? - but as I emerged they blasted off in a spirited attempt at "Zadok the priest". Of course, none of them had heard any Handel and there was a basic disagreement over what key it should be in, but what they lacked in experience they more than made up for in gusto, and I knew this run would be OK.

I set another app running - Map my run - which is aimed at more experienced, longer distance runners but which would tell me accurately what speed I run at - and set off at a leisurely pace. The goal is to do 20 minutes, not to do it fast, well or stylishly - just to do it.

Halfway up five-minute-warm-up hill I used my ventolin. It was a bright and fresh morning, crisp and dry. And we were off.

Even the first five minutes were OK. They are a long slow climb along the vines, but today there was no wind or rain. At the halfway point I paused to blow my nose and wipe my eyes - it was cold enough for that. Running home always seems shorter and then the welcome voice, "Slow down and cool off for 5 minutes."

The birds were waiting for me and gave me a hearty cheer as I slumped back down the hill and home.

Thanks chaps. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

No comments: