My favourite novel of 2014

(To be clear, I mean the novel I read in 2014 that I liked the most.)

Again I've had to joy and privilege of reading some very acclaimed books in 2014, among them:

Blindness, José Saramago
Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar
Dear Life, Alice Munro
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Muriel Sparke
Life after Life, Kate Atkinson
Quartet in Autumn, Barbara Pym
The Royal Game, Stefan Zweig
Home, Toni Morrison
The Shock of the Fall, Nathan Filer
The Buddha in the Attic, Julie Otsuka.

I read this last book in the bus. I read it in the tram. I read it while waiting for an eye-test. I was reading it when a friend arrived to meet me (What are you reading?)

But the book that made an impact on me and gave me a new author was A Soldier of the Great War, by Mark Helprin. I like his prose. It's like water-colour. Transparent, clear, light and yet somehow very graphic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen