Glo'l stops

I've had it with glottal stops.

I find it hard to believe now that there was a time when I couldn't do them at all.

When I first went to work in Hemel Hempstead, near London, a time I refer to as my Babylonian Captivity, I couldn't say Sn'Awbuns, 'EmwEmshted and Liw'n like the locals did. I had to learn how to pronounce things like that.

Now I listen to myself speaking and what do I hear? Glo'l stops a' the end of words tha' OUGH' to finish with a good "t".

No more. I am going to eradicate these global stops.

Why?

We recently listened to one of the current evangelical songsmiths singing a song about how great God is. And there can be no mistake. We listened carefully several times, and the dear fellow is clearly singing "How grey is our God, how grey is our God."

OK. Enough! I will do whatever it takes to wipe these dreadful things from my speech.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen