les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Metaxas on Bonhoeffer

The book is doing my head in. Mainly it's the style, but also certain things just baffle me till I do a good hunt.

Style ? Well for example what is the point of writing "the vampiric homunculus, Joseph Goebbels" ? What is that supposed to convey, anyway ? We kinda guessed that Eric wasn't a fan of Joseph's anyway.

Then speaking of Frank Buchman of the evangelical "Oxford Movement". Uh ? Eventually Wikipedia was called to my help. Yes, I wasn't wrong, the Oxford Movement was the 19th century Anglo-Catholics, John Henry Newman and all. Frank Buchman was the founder of the Oxford Group in the 1920s and 30s.

No comments: