I so love Bordeaux

After a crazy hour helping at the music school with inscriptions for saxophone and piano (I was very good and did not try to persuade people to do trombone instead) I met up with the stalwarts of the advanced English group in the Cheverus café. Pat had said to eat there so that was a unique treat. We met up for a review of last year and to put together a wish list for this coming year. Thanks, guys, for your feedback.

Bordeaux was buzzin'. For some of the students it's the first Thursday evening of the academic year, and Thursday evening is when everyone goes into town to frequent the bars etc.

At Saint-Nicolas the tram was assaulted by a gang of ticket inspectors - they block all the doors and won't let you off without wither a valid ticket or a notice of fine. "C'est moche", said one large fellow as LOTS of people charged down the tram to try to get away from the inspectors - they tried in vain.

The lady sitting next to me was amazed. "So many people don't pay !" I told her about my God-fearing friend who appeared to sincerely believe that public transport in Bordeaux is free in the evenings, then said I could vouch for her having a ticket and she for me !

At Victoire a swarthy gentleman unsteadily holding a bottle of beer, not his first, I think, started yelling obscenities at the nearest inspector - a BIG BLOKE. The inspector ignored him, then told him to shut up, then started shouting obscenities back, then got off the tram to sort him out. After his colleagues and the drunk's friends intervened the inspectors got back on the tram and we carried on our journey, but they never checked our tickets. The moment had passed, somehow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen