les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Inscription for Lycée Professionnel in Bac Pro Vente/Commerce

So after trying and trying and trying to phone the Lycée to find out about enrolling Gwilym - one afternoon ringing every 1/2 hour with no reply - I gave up and decided just to submit the form that was available on the website in pdf format.

Aha. In pdf format size A3. How can I print half a pdf file on A4 paper ? How can I do booklet format from a pdf file in A3 to A4 paper. I stared. I clicked this option, then that. I tried booklet printing using the printer driver - it came out tiny.

Then I remembered that Acrobat has a select tool that enables you to cut part of a page and use it as an illustration. So I cut the whole page and pasted it into an OpenOffice document. That printed but not very well.

Then I accidentally clicked on print after selecting my area of the page. It printed neatly ! Eureka ! So I printed the other page, too and filled in the form.

We needed all Gwilym's school reports from this year - he's only had one so far, and all from last year - we could only find one. But we also found his Brevet results and some other stuff, so we stapled all that together.

Then we needed a letter of motivation from Gwilym. OK. Did that.

Then passport photos. Aha ! And Gwilym works from 10 to 7 on his work experience. Never mind, we shot into Carrefour in the middle of town just after opening and then I zoomed off to the school, begged some scissors from the receptionist, stapled the photos to the form and submitted it.

PHEW ! Now will they accept or reject him ? Only God knows. That's OK.

No comments: