The train to Marseille was pretty deserted

I wasn't going to get into Marseille till lunchtime and so I was going to need something to drink and also something for lunch. The vending machines in the station had bottles of water at €1,70 or Orangina at €2,20 but that's a rip-off. When the trolley came down the train I asked the guy what they had.

The best thing is the breakfast, he said. "C'est copieux, c'est bon et c'est beaucoup moins cher que ce qu'on vend dans les gares." He was a nice guy and took a real pride in his job - describing the orange juice fully and telling me even what country the fair-trade hot chocolate came from. I didn't really care that much, sadly, and promptly forgot. It was good though.

We hurtled through the scraggiest parts of Toulouse (la ville rose = dirty old red brick) and then through the gorgeous Languedoc with it's scrubby landscape and scary dark, sudden hills. I strained to see Carcassonne but I was probably asleep when we passed it.  It's always exciting to see the Mediterranean and my first sight of Marseille was pretty amazing, too. It's VERY BIG. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen