My new job

I have a new job at church. I am the sound man. ("At last!", they cry. But no, it’s not that kind of sound)

Nightmare!

Firstly we made a big mistake. We fiddled with the microphone levels before the service to try and optimise the inductive loop for the deaf. Of course, once the pastor started speaking during the service, projecting his voice, it was far too loud.

Then we discovered that if he tried walking round anywhere the radio mike produced nasty interference noises - I suspect the loudspeakers which are behind him and about 3 feet away. And if I turned OFF the radio mike it went POP! So I had to try and anticipate his movements and turn the knob down on the mixer quickly.

This worked pretty well till we got to the benediction when we discovered that even raising his arms was enough to make the interference noises.

After the service the pastor’s wife asked "Was it OK, being the sound man?"

"No!", I said, "it was AWFUL, but I’ll carry on doing it."

Well, it has to be done. In fact, I am not sure which side of the microphone is more nerve-racking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen