It has been a quiet day at the DEFLE

Civilisation (8h30 - 9h30) followed by Phonétique (9h30 - 10h30) with an inspiring systematisation of the French vowel system, including an full explanation of why mi-fermé (half-closed) does not mean the same thing as mi-ouverte (half-open). And believe me it doesn't.

Then Communication (10h30 - 12h00) which partly entailed a discussion of writing to parents back home (she left me out of that) then went on to what we gave and received at Christmas. She included me in this, but shouldn't have really because I couldn't remember what I gave Pat or what she gave me, and when we talked about it later we realised that we decided not to exchange gifts this year, except what the children got us - so I got a chocolate santa and Pat got a box of Lindt Champs Elysee chocs. The lecturer brought in a magnificent galette des rois which I, as the only father present, had to slice for everyone.

Then lunch with some Americans and Spaniards, of roast beef and carrots. Actually roast is a bit strong for what they had done to the beef. I would say they took the chill off it, but quand même, uh? This is France. You have to budge a little. Then a long talk about the gospel with someone (instead of doing my grammar homework) then a TEST in Stylistique.

I'll tell you about the test tomorrow after the other group have done it.

So now I'm off to do my grammar homework.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen