Ubuntu 9.10

I realise that I am speaking either to the converted or to the disgruntled (only these two types of people read this blogue after all) but Ubuntu 9.10 is proving jolly good and worth the investment of about 20 minutes for the update.

Ubuntu 9.04 was great. But I confess that I had messed up the installation of Flash and so Youtube never really worked. This is more important for us because basically all we ever watch on TV is Sky news in the morning and then Youtube videos (mainly music). So it never worked under Ubuntu.

Under 9.10, however, installing Flash was a breeze and Youtube works just as well under Ubuntu as under Windows - maybe better because the OS is lighter, more efficient and quicker.

Installing new software is so easy under Ubuntu. And it is all free. And it runs fine on all sorts of PCs including the new old stock feeble old thing we bought off eBay for peanuts when the school said Gwilym needed a computer.  

I spent the bulk of yesterday afternoon reinstalling Vista on a colleague's laptop. It worked fine, though I had given them the usual warnings (this normally goes wrong and takes three days to finish...) The student centre PC is in a constant loop of restarting Windows following a badly timed off-switch. and Windows 7 is too big and demanding to run on any of the Davey PCs - even on the fast one I have in my office.

Bof. I can take a hint.

Comments

Larry said…
so you clearly prefer l'ubuntu. What are your thoughts on Macs?
Alan said…
I think they're wonderful and I hope one day to buy a refurbished one from the applestors website. Maybe a refurb macmini. Strangely the UK site is MUCH cheaper than the French one.

Otherwise they're great but too expensive for the likes of us !
Larry said…
and for the likes of me ...
Sorry to hear about the clutch. Will pray some money comes along for you
Alan said…
Thanks Larry !

Normally in November we have an unforeseen bill for 600 euros !

I think, personally, with my enormous mechanical expertise, that the cable failure does not mean that the whole clutch needs changing...

But we'll see ! God always does something to sort these things out.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen