Phlegmworld

Our house now resembles one of those post-apocalyptic nightmare film sets - bodies lie strewn everywhere, coughing gently as the sound of the howling wind penetrates our senses.

Actually I can hear Gwilym not only coughing but also practising his guitar, which means that his 'will to live' is on the up. This is a good thing. I began to be able to read yesterday evening. Before that I thought often of reading something but even that thought made my head hurt. I can hear Catrin coughing gently from time to time.

It's an impressive virus, this. On Monday I heard of one case here in Bordeaux, the daughter of a friend of ours. Tuesday morning Gwilym is struck with it, 50 kids in Catrin's school are sent home with it and Catrin and I have it in full swing. Thursday they close the school. That's a good turn of speed !

The vaccination programme is too late. I got my letter on Friday telling me to get vaccinated in the next fortnight. Even if I had had the jab on Friday afternoon, I don't think the immunity would have been in place for the arrival of the virus which must have been on Sunday or Monday.

Poor Pat ! Tomorrow is her fiftieth birthday, and we had planned all sorts of nice things, like perhaps a Chinese retaurant, and to get her birthday present - she wants something nice to wear to a friend's wedding in Alsace in December. We may have to postpone her fiftieth birthday to a more opportune time.

Meanwhile in North Wales the churches have been hit hard this week. Two young guys, both younger than me I think, both long-term seriously ill, both have died. Please pray for all the families and churches touched by this sad time.

Pray too for this weekend. As it stands I imagine the Daveys will have to stay out of things, coughing quietly at home. Ben will probably leap into the breach on Sunday evening. On Sunday afternoon there's an evangelism workshop at FAC which I was due to help with, but I imagine Fi and Liz are well up to speed on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen