Two guys

Yesterday doing student surveys. Two guys stand out to tell you about.

At the end of the quickie survey I asked the first guy what he thought about doing the longer questionnaire. He said "Ok, but I am busy this afternoon."

"Yes, but we can make a rendezvous to do it another day."

"Oh, let's do it now !" So we started. We got through the initial part, then started the "Partie philosophique".

By what criteria would you judge your life to be a success ?

"That's a bit personal !"

"Well yes, we aren't asking about Descarte's philosophy but about yours !"

Anyway after a bit of reflection we continued with the questionnaire in a very happy, relaxed way. He said he was born into a catholic home and did all the stuff but was now not practicing. We finished the questionnaire and chatted for a moment. Then he said :

"Can I ask you a question ?"

"Yes..." (wondering what was coming...)

"The suicide rate amongst the young is very high in France. A Portuguese friend says that the rate is much lower there because catholicism is stronger. What do you think ? Do you think that strength of faith can affect suicide rates ?"

Well we talked about hope, and about knowing that God is there and that giving a sense of security even when things go wrong, and of there being a purpose and a destination and so on. I felt I ought to mention that the catholic church's past view of suicide may give people strong inhibitions about taking their own life, too.

I said "What do you think ?"

"Yes", he said, "I would think that it is linked to that sense of hope and purpose."

The second guy was a muslim. You can always tell by the way they answer the question "Do you believe in God." It's always a very forceful "Yes", as if God were looking over their shoulder and waiting to see what they would say...

We talked at length. I hope I showed him grace and firmness. We talked about sin, grace, pardon, the need for forgiveness and the possibility of assurance of salvation, but I felt that he hoped to convince me that I was wrong and that nothing reached his heart, really. However, what do I know ?

I know what Mark means in Mark 10:21. These are nice guys treading water in a big, wide ocean. Oh to have your feet on the rock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen