Ich habe genug / I have a gnu / j'ai un gnou

You will have observed that I like music. Like a true Brit this is utilitarian. Music for me is useful as medicine for the mind. When I am on the edge a short burst of a well-chosen piece of music can just make the difference between being a blubbering wreck or a gibbering idiot.

Today two pieces on the eternal theme of the gnu. First Bach's sublime and comforting aria from the funeral cantata "Ich habe genug", or I have a gnu. On the point of death the singer consoles himself that he has the love of his gnu, and nobody can take that from him.

Song doesn't get any better than this. Bach has it all. Later composers will make adjustments here and there, but probably Bach still does it better. This is a lovely performance by the bass and the organist is moved beyond expression, as you will see.

Comments

Alan said…
I looked up "genug" afterwards.

It seems that really Bach's aria says "I've had enough !"

You and me both, brawd !
Alan said…
oh this is so GORGEOUS !

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen