Today - a varied day

We would have been making the homeward drive from Lloret de Mar today, but instead it's been a nice gentle kind of day so far. Here's the agenda :

10 am : kids to their Young People's sleepover weekend, me to the order of service planning meeting. picking up our friend J-P en route.

12 noon : end of order of service planning meeting, so get stuck in traffic heading through Bordeaux. It's Toussaint today and Bordeaux was very quiet in the morning but it livened up at noon and there were a LOT of people pouring out of the Catholic church that we pass en route to the Pont de Pierre.

Drop J-P, head off to the supermarket to buy something for lunch for Pat and myself. They have organic beef steaks that have to be eaten today dirt cheap. Pat wants curry so I buy a jar of Patek's tikka and we'll have beef tikka. It's almost sacrilege to curry this meat, but at least it's a bit old...

After lunch the order of service has arrived by email so I sort out the PowerPoint file - we project our hylns and songs because that way we can select from various books. I am struck again by the extraordinary richness of English hymnody. Sometimes there's a theme that you just can't find a French hymn or song to fit.

This evening is the International Home Group, so I tidy and clean the end of the room where we'll sit, and light the stove. It's quite mild today so we may not have bothered just for us. We are going to watch the film "Amazing Grace" together this evening - with subtitles ! So my next job is to ensure that the DVD works, and then to make some popcorn and get it all sorted. We know we'll be seven, we may be eight or more.

So a nice gentle day. Nothing happening at a speed you can't manage !

Tomorrow I am preaching at Blaye. I'll do a rerun of the morning message from last week on Ephesians 2:8, but I'll try and preach it more like I preached in the evening in English. I think I can do that if I pretend that people there don't really speak French very well, so I have to be slow and simple... Hmmm. Good thing I believe in the Holy Spirit !

So tomorrow will be more hectic. Early for church - say 9h30 for the 10h30 start. I wonder if J-P will be happy with going that early. Then back home for lunch (kids still on sleepover). 2h45 head off for Blaye. Service is at 4. Then back to Bordeaux - if I am in time to Cenon for the evening gospel meeting. If not - home full stop. By then the kids will be back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen