Remembrance Ceremony at Pessac

Photos taken while waiting for the start.

I find it very reassuring that even the Remembrance Day ceremony doesn't begin on time. First photo because I thought you'd like to see a képi or two.

Various representatives of different groups lay wreaths of chrysanthemums. There's lots of speeches. No singing, no prayers.

Not much music - just two bugle calls : "Cesser de feu" and "Aux morts", and a VERY EMPHATIC Marseillaise to finish.

And one poppy.

There was a very good turn-out and I got to shake hands with the maire of Pessac and with the chairman of the Communauté Urbaine de Bordeaux.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Most annoying! I looked "In Flanders' Field" up in my book of war poems and do you know what? The punctuation of their English translation made much more sense than my version. Before we know it, they'll be teaching us, 'ow you say? English! Whatever next? Walks off muttering incoherently......

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen