Parents' evening at Gwilym's college

Oh how these meetings go on and on.

I arrived late because of trying to find somewhere to park after having deposited Pat and the kids at the tram stop. It was worse than usual because the cinema in Pessac was reopening, so there were more people than usual in town, so the police closed one of the car parks. I ended up in a paying place, and had enough change to pay for 1h30, but the meeting lasted longer so I thought I had better leave once my time was up.

Because of this we still have no idea whether the extra support in German at 16h30 is compulsory or how long it lasts, or why Gwilym is partnered with a lad called Benjamin. I will have to go to the college and ask the vie scolaire people to explain it all to me.

I'm also very confused about the time Gwilym should start on Fridays. His timetable says 8h00, but the PE teachers said 8h15 on days when he isn't going swimming and 8h25 on days when he is, I think...

The meeting was worthwhile mainly for the headmaster's dry sense of humour and straightforward approach to the kids.

"I insist on four things. No TV in the bedroom. No internet in the bedroom. A table to work at in the bedroom" (impossible at present in Gwilym's room) and one other thing I can't remember.

Another highlight was when a lady told the music teacher that her son doesn't like the recorder and would prefer to learn something else. The teacher said she had considered doing the piano accordion instead but ruled it out because it would mean another big bag for the kids to carry.

Everybody has to have the same Yamaha recorder, bought in the same batch. The headmaster explained that otherwise imperfect tuning caused unbearably distressing vibrations.

Yes. He's right. Heard them often enough!

Comments

Alan said…
I don't know whether anyone else actually pays to park in Pessac. Once when we got a ticket at a machine a small crowd gathered staring at us as if we were doing something very odd. Strangely although we had pressed the button for 1/2 hour parking, when we got the ticket it said we could park for just over 6 hours. And I have never ever seen anyone else going near the machines, or seen a car with a ticket in the windscreen.

I shall continue my observations and report back.

(Actually, when we first started parking at Pessac during the house-hunt we didn't realise that you were supposed to pay or where to do it so we just used to leave the car in these bays in a very cavalier manner. We never got verbalised or anything...)

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen