les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Même un apôtre doit lire. (Even an apostle has to read)

One of the goals I have during my period of sabbatical (cough, cough) is to rediscover how to enjoy spending serious time reading. For some years reading has been squashed into a hurried activity suitable for buses and trams, for snatched moments, for the early mornings when nobody but me is awake.

I used to spend lots of time just reading for pleasure. Whole evenings with a book and, say, Rachmaninov, Dvorak or Bach.

I have been too much a people person.

In many ways this is a good thing. It means I want to see people, to talk with them, to try to encourage them, to have a coffee with them, to pray with them.

But the bad side of it is that I have neglected time alone, and even much of my time alone is spent connecting with people via email, etc. etc.

Cough, cough...

Here's a link to a helpful extract from a Spurgeon sermon. Attention ! It's in French.

No comments: