les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Monday, December 17, 2012

So I went to see Pat's doctor with my chest

He's a very nice chap, but he does remind me of Louis de Funès - I am sure they must be related.

Anyway he listened to my breathing, listened to my cough, looked down my throat and then recommended :

1) inhalations of olbas oil or similar

2) a codeine based anti-tussive for when I have to talk and need to avoid coughing

3) that I consider seeing someone about sleep apnoea, because I have a very large tongue

4) that I have a colonoscopy perhaps every two or three years.

We discussed sleep apnoea first. Briefly. We discussed the prospect of a colonoscopy in more ... depth.

I said, "the thing is, Doctor, the human body has been designed with entrances and exits, and it is inadvisable to confuse them."

"yes, but with your family history".

I thought of my two sisters, both considerably my senior but neither having had a colonoscopy...

"Yes, seeing that your father died at 49."

"No ! 69, 69 !"

"Oh that's different then. You can just do the stool-test."

No comments: