Car is at M Plazy's

He was very apologetic and I hope not to have to drive this car, any car, without a clutch again. You know how you learn to do something and then wish you hadn't...

I had trouble getting the car started because the poor battery is the original - 7 years old this year - and objects a bit to starting the engine when it's in gear. So I spent a few minutes alongside Parc Cazalet listening to the radio while the battery recharged. Then I got the car started and drove in 1st gear all the way to M. Plazy, slowing down to time it so I didn't have to stop at the sets of traffic lights. Crafty, eh !

He wondered why the cable failed again so soon. The breakdown man suggested on Saturday that the new cable was defective. Until we get a better one that is the current theory. We should get the car back with functioning clutch tomorrow.

Comments

Martin said…
Ah, clutch cables - how I hate them. I had a scooter that broke them, I decided to keep going. Up until the traffic lights that is - wheely at London Bridge!

A long time ago.
Ken said…
In actual fact, with a bit of care, one can do gear changes without a clutch too. I'd show you how but of course.... you're incomunicado now - volcanic ash etc. And only on YOUR car.
Alan said…
Done 'em ! Second AND third gear !

So glad my dad was a bus driver and used to teach us to double declutch.
Ken said…
Yep! In fact I still do double declutch up and down the box, sheer force of habit having learned to drive on a R.A.F. lorry with crash gearbox. As a kwincekwonce, top gear is also available (easily) and with a discerning ear, a return all the way back down to first. However, the last time I did it was a considerable while ago.......

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen