Record shops

Thing of the past, eh ?

Yesterday afternoon Pat was meeting someone in Mérignac so I thought I'd sneak off for a couple of hours and browse in the big shopping centre. I needed to look at bikes, and someone had told me that GoSport gives the best value for money ( le meilleur rapport qualité prix ).

Then I nipped into the Virgin Megastore next door to GoSport. There's a Classical Music "Section".

Tell me, is Tower Records still there ? I remember back in the heady days of the 80s, when I was sent on training courses to Hammersmith or to Highgate I'd scuttle into Tower Records and hunt down obscure flute albums. My best ever prize was an LP of Japanese singers and (I think) Peter Lukas-Graf performing Bach flute obbligatos - probably the most odd record I ever bought. The flute playing was sublime but the singers were all unknowns, and not altogether unjustly.

Well that was the 80s. This is the noughties and record shops like that have probably been killed by downloads from the iStore, Virgin online etc...

I must get used to hunting online for recordings. And downloading them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen