It is with some trepidation that I approach the repartitioning of the laptop at the student centre !

I have only done this once and it didn't go wrong then so I have no reason to fear except that I am messing about with the PC at it's deepest level. Still... if all fails I format the whole disk and reinstall everything from scratch (sigh !)

Last night for a time it looked as if I would be spared this electronic surgical intervention because of a bigger problem. No connection was possible to the wifi printer or to the internet. I tried the usual blather. Was it Sunday ? Is this a case of the strict sabbatarian printer again ? Could it be too much nylon in the shirt, sir ?

Seriously, in the personnel department of a national TV company they had me convinced that one particular Canadian lady had recurring problems with the sheet feeder because of her choice of fabrics... But then I was about 23, single and thrown into the nearest thing I have ever known to a lion's den ! I will never forget their comments when I delivered their acoustic hood. My rosy cheeks date to this time.

Anyway, the wifi wasn't working, so I unplugged the router and plugged it back in again. Then I unplugged the wifi card and plugged it back in again. All this, of course, while muttering the usual high-tech incantations - "Bits ok, bytes ok, bauds ok ... hmmm ... what about the indexing ... ?"

Unplugging and plugging back in works in 99.9 % of these cases, and it worked last night.

So today I have to repartition.

Comments

Alan said…
Repartitioned. Went OK.

Defragmented. All fine.

Good.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen