A bit on computing

One of the things I hate about computing (and friend and brother Emmanuel will tell me it is because I have not yet migrated to Linux) is scanning for viruses and spyware and stuff. This morning is scan morning for the laptop. I need to keep it running nicely because it does the PowerPoint for church. So PC Tools Spyware Doctor is scanning as I type. It's been going for ages.

However one of the good things about computing is its usefulness in all sorts of areas of family life. Catrin has just been doing her flute practice - she plays along to accompaniments that she plays on the family computer using iTunes. It works really well, it makes practice much more interesting and fun and it helps her to learn to play in tune.

When I started learning flute in 1981 or so I had to buy a scales book, a studies book, pieces, the list went on... I have started learning trombone and scales and arpeggios are available on the internet, as are lots of pieces and even piano accompaniments for scales to help you play in tune. It's very different now from how it was.

And a last little thing on computing. The eeePC comes out in France today. I got one on Monday. Don't ask me why I got it early. They said to go and get it so I did. Anyway, it is really very small but it works fine. It will be great for deputation and also for taking to the student centre. If I can work out how to do looping and branching in an Impress presentation it might even do for church purposes. We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen