Well that's it.

My exposé started 25 minutes late and finished about 30 minutes late. They had set up the room very confrontationally, the Director and the Lecturer were sat on adjoining desks about 2 metres away, and I was facing them behind my desk. Then we lobbed questions and responses at each other. A verbal tennis match. I tried to send more words back than came my way.

The director asked me if I was interested in OuLiPo because of theology. I didn't see the link straight away (!), but in the end I could see what he was getting at, so I explained that my interest in mathematical and word puzzles predated my faith. "Ah, vous êtes bornagain. C'est ce qu'on dit aux etats unis?" I explained that though I would normally avoid that phrase I became a Christian at the age of 19. Then I went on to say that there was a possible link in my nature because the Bible is composed of words, and so in theology one works with words, defining words and exploring words, etc.

The lecturer who I had heard had broken her arm has not. (What a sentence!) She did fall, on the soapy floor, but she says the DEFLE lecturers are very resistant and are always there. She seemed in good form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen