Getting ready to preach this Sunday

How do I feel about it?

1) Quite excited. I am enjoying the preparation. After all, at last I am back to doing what I did before - it's the same task, but different words. More of a challenge, but then I only have to preach once this week!

Ecclesiastes 12:10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words

and what he wrote was upright and true. Perhaps you could pray that it will be the case with me.


It's a pity that most of my books are still in boxes, and that they have to stay that way for the present, too!

2) Quite terrified. It's not the language. I am sure that some people will have problems with my accent, but I have happily chatted with virtually everyone in the church now, and if they can follow my mindless prattle then they'll be able to follow my carefully chosen words, I hope!

No - it is now about 11 months since I last preached. Will I be too emotionally moved? (I am the minister who used to get moved at weddings, especially when it was a new happy beginning for folks who had been divorced.) Will I clam up and flap my lips wordlessly like a goldfish? Will there be an encouraging face to focus on? (Pat - you had better not be ill next Sunday!)

3) Quietly confident. I'm sure it's time. It'll be OK. God didn't bring us here to make fools of us (well except in the fools for Christ sense, you understand, and coming here wes extremely foolish in that way!) Anyway, they've already asked me to preach again on August 13th, and I may have to lead the whole thing then (This week it'll just be preaching).

And I know lots of folk will be praying. It'll probably be amongst the most diligently prepared and most earnestly prayed for message I have ever given!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Will remember you, before , during & after, though maybe not the whole time, and will realise the privilege!
papyrus said…
Is this your first time preaching in French? I recognise the mix of emotions. One advantage with having limited vocabulary is that you will be forced to keep things simple and not talk over people's heads. I hope everything goes okay for you.
Alan said…
Yup! First time!

And yes, I have always had the aim of trying to make complex things simple rather than the other way round. Having the vocabulary of a 10-year-old may well help that!

By the way, Welcome Papyrus!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen