A day to reflect

It was good to have a day off from househunting, which has turned Pat cross-eyed and done my head in. Gwilym and Catrin were at a Scouts jamboree. Pat was on a sortie des dames. So I did various jobs quietly by myself and reflected (I never reflected about anything before I came to France, but réfléchir is what French people do always.)

The house in Villenave (flat upstairs, big workshop rooms downstairs) would be ideal as a family and for meetings at our home. But it is still in Villenave, not in Pessac. We have one house lined up to see in Pessac that could do, too, near university and trams. We should see that one then go for it, I think.

Odd jobs?

Pat and her sister in Burnham (Slough, but don't tell her I said that) look very similar, so we bought them matching tee-shirts from Géant. It was a "buy one get one free" thing. I got them. They were much too big. Bad mistake! So I changed the red xxxl for aqua xl.

TV. It's been on the blink for a long time. It would suddenly turn itself off in the middle of things. Well on Friday it stopped completely. I worked out what it is. It's quite irritating! It's just the power button on the front. If you sit with your finger on the button it works fine.

I thought we could persevere with it like that - it would automatically cut down the amount of TV you watch to the length of time you can keep your finger on the button. But Pat says this is unacceptable. So I reflected on taking the TV apart and fitting a new switch on the side - a light switch, for example.

I didn't reflect for long before going out and buying a new one. The old one was second hand anyway and we've had it a long time. I don't know where you get second hand TVs in Bordeaux, so we bought a brand spanking new one. We have to have a small TV (14") to fit on the shelf, thankfully. I dare say one day we'll have a big flat screen one and hang it on the wall, but that's for the future.

Then the PowerPoint file for tomorrow. It's an important service - a baptism followed by a lunch together (a barbecue).

So there we are. A nice quiet day, troubled only by my deliberations over the TV. Pat will blog about her day (www.pat-in-france.blogspot.com) and about the Scout extravaganza in the evening, when Gwilym and Catrin played Lucy and Peter in a 2 minute dramatic contraction of the Chronicles of Narnia, all singing, all dancing, all sword-play!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen