Word processing will soon change - lots

Pretty soon after I got my first computer at home I bought a copy of Samna Ami. It was great - a word processor that showed you straighforwardly on the screen what your printed page would look like. I have used it ever since - through Lotus Ami Pro, then into IBM WordPro. It is still very easy to use and still shows you very reliably what your printed page will look like. It's not free, but my last upgrade cost my £5 from the bargain corner of PCWorld.

To make PDF files I have used OpenOffice, which has the great benefit of being free. It's OK, but not as easy for me as WordPro.

Of course, everyone else in the whole wide world uses Microsoft Word, and somehow they manage to pay big money for it.

But this is changing. Already there are word processors that simply work on websites, editing Word files and saving them on your computer for you (e.g. Google Writely, Ajaxwrite).

It's a logical change. Why should there be millions of identical copies of a program stored on computers all over the world when it could be stored in just a few places centrally and used over the internet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen