Séminaire de littérature

Last night was the first of these seminars, from 18h00 to 20h00. OK for me, but impossible for the au pairs. (The only problem for me is that I have a tendency to doze off from 19h30 onwards. Even the lecturer was drinking coffee.)

Anyway it was great. Just what I wanted. We will be doing a big sweep of 20th century French literature, tracing the currents and threads. Last night the lecturer talked about Mauriac, who wrote from a Catholic worldview both as a novelist and as a journalist. He may turn out to be the French Paul Johnson.

When I later searched Amazon to look out for his books I found that our lecturer's PhD thesis on Mauriac and Sartre had been published in book form.

Mauriac was Bordelais. Bordeaux is the city of the three Ms - Montesquieu, Montaigne and Mauriac...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen