les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Deputation visits June 2012

I have just returned from my deputation visits. Here's some initial impressions :


I arrived in the UK on Jubilee Weekend. From where I stood the jubilee was a splendid occasion for the UK. I don't think that I have ever found the country so endearing. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Olympic torch thing, though.


The churches I visited are all so different : churches meeting in schools, in huge buildings, in old chapels, in new hi-tech premises. Churches in cities, in towns, in villages. Meetings with HUNDREDS of people, meetings with fewer than 20 people.

I think in all the churches there was a tremendous optimism and joy. People seem content in God.

It was a great opportunity to spend a little time with our home church, including two sessions in Bethany Books (meet the non-author !), visits to some folks who are shut-in or unwell, an elders' meeting, etc... We're so very thankful for the folks at Christchurch Deeside.

Everyone seems to be having trouble with their cars ! Well, perhaps not everyone, but it seemed pretty common...

I wish they hadn't conficated my deodorant at the airport and that I had been able to take a pair of nail scissors with me. Clippers are just not the same somehow.

No comments: