Gwilym's inscription for Lycée

I took it round there first thing this morning.

Again it was pointed out that I had no exéat, but I said that the lady I phoned on Friday had told me that since he was leaving the privé I should not embêter myself with that. The lady came out. "Il quitte le privé, je m'enfoue." ('He's leaving an RC school, I don't give a monkeys' would be a reasonable interpretation.)

Exeat comes from the Latin and I am pretty sure you'd find it in stage directions - it means 'Let him leave'. I have certainly seen the plural exeunt in Shakespeare for when everybody must leave the stage. I looked up exéat in French afterwards. It does, indeed, mean a certificat de radiation ! Full marks and go up a class !

Gwilym starts at 10:15 on Thursday 2 September. They get shown round, get their timetable, then get divided into teams for sports on Friday morning. Then there's a bit of stuff about rules and regulations, then the parents come for a tour of the school.

Meanwhile we must sometime visit the Mairie to get a paper to say that as a non-Français he is exempt from National Service.

Comments

Phil Arthur said…
When I was a student at Cambridge you were not deemed to have completed your degree unless you not only passed your examinations but also satisfied a residential qualification. This entailed completing three academic terms in each year, each of which had a minimum number of nights that had to be spent in residence. You could only leave the college for a night in mid term by obtaining an Exeat. Upon your return you had made a Redeat.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen