What a difference a week makes !

Last week we were huddled together at the far end of the room listening to heavy things moving on the roof and watching light things zoom past the window. Waiting for the end. The end of the storm, of course.

This week I got up to find the windows open and madame pegging washing on the line.

We had some friends' children on a sleepover last night (hence Alan's lie-in, he confessed, guiltily) and said friend brought us round fresh croissants from a proper boulangerie. We NEVER go in boulangeries and we buy multi-pack sunflower-oil croissantettes in the supermarket. The kids like them but it's not the same thing... Anyway I just had a sumptuous breakfast of croissant and raspberry jam followed by croissant dunked in a bowl of hot chocolate. I can't believe that once I considered hot chocolate for breakfast as unthinkable. Quick, pass me an oyster, a snail and a whole songthrush...

The quickest way to make a bordelais laugh ?

When he asks "So why did you come to live in Bordeaux?" reply "pour le beau temps" (for the good weather).

It never fails to break the ice, and when you then confess to being a pasteur they think you can't be all bad anyway. Sometimes you can follow it up with "je crois qu'on s'est trompé de ville..." (I think we chose the wrong town).

But today looks set for fair weather.

One couple who live about 40 minutes south had their electricity restored yesterday. I don't know if they have their water back yet.

I declared the damage on the insurer's website and received an automated email saying they'd contact me within 48 hours. I thought it may take longer and on Friday was gearing myself up to ask for a rendez-vous at the office in Pessac (there's always HUGE queues) when yesterday they rang and said "we authorise the repairs but we have no franchised repairer so it's up to you to find a roofer". The neighbours have been using a fim in Mérignac but before I do that there's a serious chap in the church in Blaye who is a roofer, plumber and general everything. I should be seeing him on Sunday so I'll give him first option. He may have all the work he can take on at present, of course.

So there we are. The two worst hit houses in the area now have tarpaulins over their roofs. All the parks are still closed until the trees can be inspected for safety and any dodgy ones felled. We have felled our two most diagonal conifers and knowing that we can burn them mixed with other wood has encouraged me to think of felling the others, too !

This weekend we have the International Home Group here - arrive at 6 to eat, 8 for the Bible Study. Tomorrow I'm helping (not preaching) here in the morning and helping (not preaching) at Blaye in the afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen