Oho - still, people matter most

I had LOADS to do today, but after dropping Pat at the Griffinhaus in Eysines I needed to stop off in Mérignac on the way home. The shop I needed was not open so I called in the newsagent and stared at the car magazines. A chappie said "I have just spotted this magazine which looks pretty good."

I picked it up, to show willing.

"Oh but look, my Laguna now is only worth 2000 euros. It's 8 years old."

"Oh well, if it goes OK then you should hang on to it."

"Yes it goes fine. Do you have an English sonority to your voice ?"

"Yes, I'm Welsh."

"I lived in Huddersfield for a year. I am a retired English teacher. I've visited Betsie Co-ed and Festy-nog."

We continued our conversation in French though, as we talked about why I am in France, why he doesn't much like France, what is a protestant church and what about the truth of the Bible, and what about prophecy, and what about miracles, and what about other religions and his interest in China and our Chinese friends and Chinese New Year and so on.

I said, "Hey, we don't say that anyone can walk on water if only they get the knack. We say that one man at one time walked on water and his friends saw him do it, and therefore what does that mean about that man."

He said "Give me your card".

I didn't have one with me, or a leaflet for the church or anything ! (Prize clot...)

He said "Oh, but you won't have me as one of your flock..."

"No, no, I understand that." (ho-hum)

So instead of a card I wrote my address and phone number on a piece of paper for him.

I looked at my watch. We'd been talking for well over an hour.

Great ! I must hang around that papershop more often !

It also shows that having a weird accent is not necessarily a problem... Just as long as people can understand you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen