Fash not yourselves

In 2004 there was a team in Bordeaux doing up the student centre and doing student evangelism in the streets. There were many Scots on the team and we noticed certain similarities between Scots English and French. For example, the reflexive Scots verb to fash ones' self (se fâcher) to become annoyed.

This verb is now almost exclusively found in the second person imperative dinna fash yersel' = do not get annoyed.

But who can doubt that at one time this verb existed in all the richness possible.

Are you trying deliberately to make me fash myself ?

I could not continue the discussion because everyone was fashing himself.

Had they not fashed themselves they may have understood the point I was making.

Their behaviour is so intransigent that I just know that I will fash myself.

Comments

Alan said…
ps - what's the difference between Steven Speilberg and Walt Disney ?
Alan said…
Steven still makes fillums, but Walt disnae'.
Larry said…
"Whats the difference between a banker and a pidgeon?
a pidgeon can still make deposits on a new BMW

Topical, tasteful, and funny.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen