This may be taking accountability a bit far, but

my plan for the new year is to read through the whole Bible in French aloud.

Reading aloud is really good. It enables you to practice shaping words. It helps you to remember. It slows you down as you read and helps you to listen to yourself. At one time aloud was the only way to read (I think it was Ambrose of Milan who first began to read silently in Europe, and people used to watch him, amazed.)

The drawbacks? You need a quiet private place. It's slower. (Funny how these drawbacks sound like advantages when thinking of reading Scripture.)

But for these reasons, if I don't read it all aloud I won't fret too much.

For a translation, I will choose one I can carry on my Palm computer, which means either the "old" 1910 Louis Segond or the 2000 Semeur. Pity. One of the 1970s Segond revisions would be better (Genève or Colombe) but there you are. You can't have everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen