Prayer meeting

At prayer meeting tonight it was me and my friend Jean-Marc, who speaks no English. It was just him and me, and so I had to pray, and I had to pray in French, and we had quite a conversation afterwards about complicated stuff like my theological training and our call to France and how we are supported, and why Welsh isn't much like English, etc. This was good.

I got into a couple of life sentences, but I managed to escape one way or another.

A life sentence is one where you get in OK, but then you get trapped by the syntax to such an extent that you can't find your way out again. In the worst case you grind to a halt and the sentence never ends. This is a "true life sentence" or "life sentence without remission".

It seems that sometimes the French get into them - and the standard way out is to say "Voila!" which means "there we are then!". Alternatively for extra emphasis you could say "Franchement, voila!" which means "Frankly, there we are then" and sounds just as daft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen