The French think that Welsh is difficult

I had to do a brief talk-ette today in "communication" about a festival in my country. So I spoke about St David's Day and eisteddfodau in general, and took in a tin of Welsh cakes for people to eat.

The Welsh cakes went down very well, until I told them that they are called picau bach ar y maen, when the French lecturer threw up her hands in horror and dissolved in a peal of laughter. I told them that St David's Day is Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant, and she said "The first word is David, yes?" I said "No, that is day - the third word is David." Once more peals of laughter. I decided to skip any discussion of cynghanedd, the mutation system and y fedal ryddiaith.

She said "But Welsh is very difficult, no?" I said "On the contrary, it is very easy". It transpires that the French find the Welsh language utterly inscrutable and impenetrable. They say "that's not a language, that's torture".

Now that should mean that Welsh-speakers get RESPECT. Know what I mean? (in case you don't it means better marks.....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen