It was better before. (c'était mieux avant)

Firstly one for travellers and ex-pats. Be aware of the golden glow of nostalgia!

This comes home to me in so many ways so often here in Bordeaux. Here's a couple of examples.

One comes from a conversation a few months ago when a British friend said, "Nobody goes hungry in England. There are no food banks in England." I quietly explained that since we left the UK in 2005 food banks have become a major activity for many of my friends and colleagues, and that some food banks are now regularly frequented by NHS nurses.

Another happened more recently and concerned bullying in schools. A French friend said how shocked they were by the bullying in England and how it isn't tolerated in France. I quietly explained that our kids were bullied in the catholic school in Pessac that they attended. "Oh, OK, I know it goes on in the catholic schools" and then how a friend's son in a state school in a suburb of Bordeaux came home one day and said "Today was a good day, nobody hit me today."

What's going on? I think it's the golden glow of nostalgia. We don't remember things properly. We forget the bad (thankfully) and remember all that was good and happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen