les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Suppression of the Regions

Well I just attended what will probably be my last Synode.

The Synode of Montauban was held yesterday and today. I couldn't go yesterday, but I went this morning on the 6:30 train from Alouette.

Now there's a story! I wandered happily down to the station and bought my ticket from the machine.
33€. I thought that was very reasonable for a single to Montauban, which is a good two hours away.

Got to Bordeaux. Train for Marseille leaving from Platform 3. I hasten thither, hop on and settle myself in.
The train leaves the station.
A man says over the tannoy, "we remind you that on this train a seat reservation is compulsory".

Problem! My ticket doesn't have a seat number on it.

I find a little gang of traffic police.
Let me see your ticket. Oh yes, that ticket isn't valid on this train.
What?

The ticket inspector came.

I think I have the wrong ticket..
Let me see. Oh yes, that's a TER ticket and this is an Intercity train.
But at Alouette there's just the one machine.
Yes, for TER tickets.
You mean to say that at Alouette I can't buy a ticket for Montauban?
Not if you want to travel on this train.
But I thought SNCF was SNCF.
Ah no!
Well I hope I don't end up in prison!
Oh no, nothing like that.
But it'll cost a bit more...
Yes, 10 euros.

Oh well, I suppose it's not the first time I have paid 10 euros to learn a lesson!

This may well be the last synode I go to. The regions are being abolished, so we won't have Regional Synodes any more.
And I don't have the right to attend National Synodes because I am a Missionary Pastor and not a proper pastor. Only proper pastors get to go to National Synode.

Once every three years there's a National And General Synode, and those I get to go to.

Montauban was flooding before our very eyes









No comments: