Two can play that game

ring, ring !

"Hallo, is that Mr Alan Davey ? This is Microsoft Windows Support Department."

"Oh yeah, OK, no thank you."

"Uh what happened ? what happened ? what happened ? what happened ? what happened..?"

(Alan thinks - "Crazy man..! still, if that's the game")

"are you really Microsoft ? are you really Microsoft ? are you really Microsoft ? are you really Microsoft ?"

Guy hangs up.

I must think these phone calls through.

Surely it can't be that hard to get from "Your computer is broken and we need to sell you some rubbish over the phone" to "your life is broken and you need something more radical than dodgy software to put things right..."

OK he might still put the phone down, but you never know...

Comments

Alan said…
I imagine that they tell you of some problem with your PC of which you are not completely aware but which will destroy your PC for ever if not rectified ?

If so I can tell him of a problem with his life of which he may not be completely aware but which will destroy him for ever if not rectified.
Emmanuel said…
Our solution: never answer if the caller is anonymous. If they really want to speak to us, they will leave a message.
Alan said…
Yes, lots of folk here do that.
Matthew Evans said…
I led one such guy along for a while and then eventually told him I knew he was lying through his teeth and how could he sleep at night knowing how he was conning gullible people out of their money, and why didn't he get a job that didn't involve selling his soul? Well, we went on like that for a bit and I did get to speak about his spiritual need and how he could be forgiven in Christ. But he also left me with a sobering challenge - yes, it was a rubbish job he had, and yes, he would like another one, but no, there aren't any. So - would I give him a job? I suppose it is easy to look down on someone when my family's survival does not depend on me eking a living somehow, anyhow...
Alan said…
Yes, that's why I want to get beyond anger and beyond "why don't you get a proper job" and see if I can get to talk about eternal things. In a way, his job is the least of his worries, or at least just the start...

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen