les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Durham

I had a day free so I went to Durham to visit the cathedral. Quite simply overwhelming. They prohibit photography inside the cathedral, so I couldn't capture that first sight of the enormous patterned norman columns and the huge round arches. It was stunning. I stared and stared so I could try to remember the impression it gave. I have tried to find a photo on the web.

I sneaked a photo in an ante-room ( which reminded me a lot of the Grand Mosque in Cordoba ) and where the Venerable Bede is buried. HAC SUNT IN FOSSA BAEDAE VENERABILIS OSSA it says. A lady knelt to pray at the foot of his grave so I hid her behind a pillar.

Durham cathedral gave me an overwhelming sense of history, easily the most impressive cathedral I have ever visited. The town was OK. Expensive second-hand bookshops.






No comments: