Durham

I had a day free so I went to Durham to visit the cathedral. Quite simply overwhelming. They prohibit photography inside the cathedral, so I couldn't capture that first sight of the enormous patterned norman columns and the huge round arches. It was stunning. I stared and stared so I could try to remember the impression it gave. I have tried to find a photo on the web.

I sneaked a photo in an ante-room ( which reminded me a lot of the Grand Mosque in Cordoba ) and where the Venerable Bede is buried. HAC SUNT IN FOSSA BAEDAE VENERABILIS OSSA it says. A lady knelt to pray at the foot of his grave so I hid her behind a pillar.

Durham cathedral gave me an overwhelming sense of history, easily the most impressive cathedral I have ever visited. The town was OK. Expensive second-hand bookshops.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen