An update on the Griffinmobile

Well Ben went to the car this morning and phoned a breakdown service he had found using the online phonebook. Then he phoned me, because they seemed reluctant to come and help. He said 'They keep telling me I am on the rocade and I keep trying to tell them I am on a sliproad - except I don't know the French for sliproad."

I don't know the French for a sliproad, either, but I phoned the people and explained that Ben's car had broken down as he left the rocade just before the traffic lights.

(I got a few funny looks because I was in the supermarket balancing boxes of cereal on racks of stuff while writing down the police phone number before relaying it to Ben in English. I think they are starting to get used to me in there though...)

"That's the problem", the breakdown people explained. "Anything before the lights counts as the rocade and he has to phone the police to get help." As I suspected they had understood each other very well, but the answer had been so unexpected as to be difficult to take in.

So I relayed this to Ben - and he phoned the police, and they phoned a breakdown man, who came, fixed the car, charged Ben then explained that he now has to reclaim the charge from his insurance. That's the way the breakdown cover works.

Bravo Ben. These Griffins are formidable, you know ! They're getting through it all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Slip road = bretelle
Alan said…
Thanks Naomi !

It's great, the net !

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen