Christianity explored ...

is in the process of being translated into French.

Well, it's been translated. Now the hope is that soon it will be published.

Meanwhile I am at present printing out the course-book in A5 booklet format, hoping that I may not have to do too much reformatting in order to use it with our lycéens !

..

so far so good ! For our lycéens I've changed the name from Découverte du christianisme to Exploration du christianisme. If that doesn't work in French we'll have to find another word ... Approfondissement du christianisme ?

Basically I want to avoid the idea of introduction or initiation, because after all, some of our lycéens have been at church since their infancy. They aren't discovering Christianity as such, but we hope they are expanding their understanding and experience of the grace of God in Christ.

And the format in A5 works fine, thanks to my brilliant Canon MP750 which I bought as an end of line cheapie when we first came to France. It prints A5 booklets automatically from A4 pages.
How useful is that ? Very useful.

Comments

Alan said…
Naomi says:

I have been reading your blog for a few months now and always find it an interesting read. I have been living/working/church planting in France for over 20 years now.

I have tried to comment on your blog before using my blog profile, but this seems to have been rejected... so I thought I'd try the e-mail route.

I specifically wanted to make some suggestions (if you don't mind - if you do mind just ignore me!) for the translation of the title to "Christianity explored".

I think a verb would be better than a noun (more dynamic and "accrocheur" than a noun (eg. exploration or approfondissement) so you would get "Explorer le christianisme" or "Approfondir le christianimse", either of which would be fine as far as the verb is concerned.

Personally if it was something I was using, I would want to change 'christianisme' as well, but that may be more just personal taste than the other point. For me 'christianisme' sound like one world religion amongst others... I would go for something more like 'explorer notre relation avec Jésus/ avec Dieu' or something like that.

Well I hope you don't mind me getting in touch - e-mail me if you want to.

Hope the Bible studies go ok with your lycéens.

Yours in Christ

Naomi
Alan said…
Absolutely Naomi !

I think "Christianity explored", using that ambiguous adjective/past participle works quite well in English, but a verb would work even better.

Maybe something even more concrete ? Any francophones out there who are good at snappy titles and can see what we're trying to capture ?
Alan said…
OK. Quick discussion with my esteemed colleague Fiona last night and Explorer le Christianisme is the current front runner.

Another option suggested by a church member some time ago is a reference to a song that we sing (albeit very infrequently !) "Un chrétien je voudrais être". It's a thought.
Anonymous said…
I think we should call it: "A la decouverte du christianisme"
Alan said…
When FAC does it it's called "Bouleversé par Jésus".

When we do it with the Chinese group we call it "Découverte du christianisme".

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen