Darby Gray on Wenglish

http://darbygray.blogspot.com/2007/06/words-from-my-childhood.html

Beenuss I am from the valleys I did used to talk tidy. I don't mean I used language. Mam didn't like it. She'd say "Don't use language when you talk to me." Anyway I was a tidy boy.

No, I just mean I used to talk tidy. So we would twti down in the gwli to watch the gambos going down. I had a gambo my dad made for me. We kept it in the cwtch. Or we would quat it away in the shed down my gran's back. Anyway, when they weren't playing catty and doggy you could go down the fan on your gambo. Bopa Jarman lived down by there, I think. It was all hills, see.

Google 'Talk tidy" and who knows what you'll get.

beenuss short for "being as" = since or because
tidy
as an adverb = properly
tidy as an adjective = nice, decent or considerable as in "it's a tidy step = it's a long way"
use language = use bad language
twti = to squat
gwli = the space between two houses
gambo = a soap-box cart
cwtch as a noun = the cupboard under the stairs
cwtch as a verb = a bit like cuddle
quat = to hide
down my gran's back = in my gran's garden
catty and doggy = a game where you wallop sticks round a field
the fan = waste ground (from y fan, in Welsh, the place?)
bopa = auntie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen