Today's duty list

Although I am not preaching I am still on duty.

This morning it's the PowerPoint (as usual, we project our hymns) but also I am leading the service. This is a good thing because even in English I am not the warmest, most jovial personality you'd ever meet°, and I find it much easier to preach, when you have a script or at least an outline to follow and something (hopefully) of great import to say. So this morning I can concentrate on trying to convey that sense of quiet, happy, reverent, confident expectation that is so important. Hmmm. (Help!)

This afternoon we are taking the preacher up to Blaye, which will be good. Last time we talked all the way which is not a good idea with me because I cannot drive and talk at the same time. I was quite relieved by the recent findings that suggested that driving and talking on the phone, even with a handsfree, is unsafe. I always knew it. For me driving and talking to my passengers is unsafe!

Anyway it was good to get to know our friend a little better, and it will be good to be in Blaye. In fact on 11 March I am preaching there myself. However, it does mean that I will miss the prayer meeting at 6pm at the student centre.



° comments in the past have ranged from the kindly "you're an old sobersides" to the less kindly "have you had your sense of humour surgically removed?" If so they took my memory with it - which would explain a lot!

Comments

Anonymous said…
A, fy mrawd bach, those who make such comments cannot possibly know you. You can make me laugh anyway. That business about the facial hair had me in stiches for ages. Perhaps humour is like food. What one man likes another dislikes. However, there are some things that we have to be very serious about since they have eternal consequences.
Alan said…
Well one or two people chuckled a bit during my sermon on Psalm 23 when I pointed out that usually when lambs go to table it's as the main dish, not as the honoured guest.

It's horses for courses, I guess.

At least here in France it is, anyway...

Main courses, that is.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen