OK. Preaching this morning

I was hesitating between Ephesians 4 : 1 - 15 and Psalm 139. In the end I decided to preach on Psalm 139 because Ephesians 4 touches too much on church policy (who does what to whom and when), and I don't want to go setting agendas or anything like that while the pastor is away - or even to give the appearance of so doing!

I am about to listen to my MP3 of Psalm 139. I will also read a bit from John, the call of Nathanael. I'll listen to the MP3 really to iron out pronunciation and to ensure liaisons are in the right place.

I was talking to people in the English class yesterday about the moment when you move from thinking about rules to when your ear tells you what's right (for example for the sound of walked, spotted, answered). My ear is getting there. Slowly.

However, I was told recently that my pronunciation is getting worse.

So I have increased the amount of French radio and TV I listen to to try and help that. And this morning I will try to take my time and enunciate everything very clearly.

Ah well. I've done all I can.

I have this lurking fear that I have learned too quickly and started ministry too soon, that if I had spent longer agonising over everything then all would be better. But that's me. I am always like that. And in the end you do what God gives you to do, and you go through the doors he opens for you, and you trust him to work out his plan.

Psalm 139, really!

Comments

Alan said…
Generally the service went OK. We were really enoucraged by some of the folk who were there. Thanks for praying !
Alan said…
One slightly strange thing - I have caught myself doing liaisons and then either pausing or stopping before the word I am liaising with. I have noticed other people doing this, though it's bad form really. Maybe you catch the things you notice? Anyway, I'll have to make sure I stamp it out!
Alan said…
Actually, in the light of Tuesday morning, I am ever so picky with myself, fussing over my liaisons like this. They are not THAT important! Another bout of perfectionism, I'm afraid, which is the worst sin in Christian ministry.
Alan said…
OK. Bit of feedback. The accent was much clearer. Phew...

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen